Friday, April 06, 2007

Housing in the Big City





Well, it has been a while since my last post, but it wasn't because there was nothing to write about. I haven't made the time to keep up with everything that has been going on. One of the major time consuming parts of the last month was searching for a place to live. Then, once I found a place it took a lot of time and some frustration getting the place set up.

In my search for a place to stay, there were many nice places to choose from and I have pictures to help me remember them all. At first, my decision was based only on how nice the actual apartment was, but as the searching went on, the location and facilities became a larger factor. My decision came down to the Embassy Place and my apartment. I ended up in my place and in a different apartment than I originally planned. The Embassy Place is where Jeremy choose to stay and it is a very nice place with a great location. I will post some pics from there, but I am sure he has posted additional photos as well. As for choosing my apartment it came down to having a good work out facility that most places were lacking, a closer location to the park, and the open style of the apartments.

Embassy Place

I had actually seen the perfect apartment for me at the condo complex on a Friday. I decided to think about it and let my realtor know on Monday. On Monday, I decided I wanted the place and started the wheels in motion. I went to go see it again and the realtor was working out some of the details about getting the deposit to them. As I am leaving the condo my realtor received a call back and stated that the seller's husband had already accepted a deposit that morning and she didn't know about it. They apologized but I was pretty disappointed about not getting that place. I will include some pics of that place as well. So the realtor said that there were a couple of other places in the same building I could look at. She showed me one with the same physical structure only a little different setup. The place isn't as nice as the original and would not be my usual pick, but I still liked the layout and the apartment facilities. The place needed some furnishings, but I got an agreement with the owner to purchase some furniture for the place and so I decided to go with it. I am glad that I went with the apartment for a number of reasons, but there have been some headaches.

First Apartment


So I have the place and now it is time to get it setup and have it furnished. Well, I went shopping with Puvanai and we went to go pick out furniture. I realized that I am not a decorator and that is why a fully furnished apartment would be a wise choice. Either way, most of the headaches came with the delivery of the furniture or should I say delayed and incomplete delivery of furniture. The shipments were delayed, not complete, and in one case incorrect. Also, a lot of the utilities have been a problem as they had an issue and were not working correctly. The hot water wasn't working and my air con unit ended up leaking through the ceiling. The setup of the cable and Internet also had some hiccups. I can say that I have been less than satisfied with the owner to this point, but I think he is the exception rather than the rule. A majority of the issue is when something isn't quite right I couldn't just call someone and tell them what needed to be done. It is hard to fix an issue when they can't understand you and you can't understand them.Anyway, I don't want to seem like the whole experience was a negative because I am happy with my place. It is starting to feel more comfortable, but not quite like a home yet.

My Apartment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home