Sunday, April 22, 2007

Watch out Down Below - Pattaya Beach



My friend and I headed out a couple of hours southeast of Bangkok in search of rock climbing. Pattaya Beach is a decent sized tourist area in Thailand and it had a number of regular hotels along with expensive resorts but it's best known for its sex tourism. I would say overall I thought the place looked pretty dirty in many ways. There is a nicer beach Jomtien Beach farther down that is nicer than Pattaya beach because the beach there didn't look too inviting. But the beach was busy with many people in the water and hanging out. I didn't have my camera on me so I will have to get pictures some other time. We spent most of our time looking for the rock climbing and the place it was supposed to be turned out to be a bust. So we were looking for something else to do and we decided to go to the Bungee Jump.

I had been wanting to try Bungee jumping, but hadn't planned on doing it this weekend. I decided to do it anyway even though I wasn't really prepared to go. I thought, how bad can it be, it's only 50 meters up right. Well, I felt pretty calm and cool until the crane started to lift me up into the air. Then, I realized that I had to actually jump off the platform. I couldn't just fall off and it wasn't just like pulling a cord to go. Even though the crane doesn't look very high from the ground, it's a different story from the very top. By this time I was pretty nervous and I just kept telling myself that I had to relax and I could do it. At the top the operator tells me to step to the ledge and he will count down and then I jump. At this point, I looked below and thought, "Oh crap, what have I got myself into?" The operator started the countdown, "Three, two, one, jump!" I didn't move initially and the operator repeated, "Now jump". So I let go of the handles and jumped out into the air starting my fall. I also starting to scream like a little girl. The rest happened very quickly with me falling towards the ground getting shot back up into the air and repeating the falling again. I tried to catch my breath in between the falling and screaming. Once the falling slowed down,I just tried to enjoy the moment and the scenery bouncing upside down. They pulled me back and I was glad to no longer be dangling from my feet. It was quite a rush and a lot of fun but I don't know if I will be doing it again any time soon.


Bungee Jump Pictures

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home