Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Singapore:Mixing of Culture


So I know I am not an inspiring writer because I am now writing in an airport about my trip almost 2 months ago in Singapore. The memory has faded slightly and the images are less vivid, but they are still there. Singapore is an interesting melting pot of cultures and lifestyle. It is on a fairly small island and is an expensive place to live. Yet, with those expenses come many nice things, clean air, organized living, and little or no crime. When you enter a country and you see signs that say, "Death to drug dealers" you know they mean business. Although, the government probably has too much power when they perform roadside tests to make sure your car is environmentally friendly. I didn’t have much time on this trip so I just got a glimpse of the culture. The first day I wondered through Little India with its street vendors selling everything and the very interesting temples. After that, I continued for around 5 blocks and came to Arab Street with very unique mosques and Arab schools. A few less vendors. In between these areas I walked upon a Malay Culture Center that had some small booths selling different products and people playing music. So many different cultures were living in a very close proximity. After the tour, I went to do some shopping at Bugis street, the biggest tourist shopping area. Again it had a main meeting area with many different fortune tellers, medicine men, and other side show entertainers.

After a short break from the heat, I headed down to Chinatown. I found Chinatown very interesting and especially a museum about the area. It showed the times and living environment of when Chinatown first began and when the port in Singapore first formed. Walking through the streets, I had little time for shopping, but there were some very amazing old items: chess boards and art. The evening approached quickly so I headed back to my hotel to get ready for the Night Safari.

Singapore Pictures

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home